Chlorophyll is the pigment responsible, among other things, for the green color of leaves. It helps absorb the light needed for photosynthesis and includes basic components necessary for the plant to function, which is needed for growth and reproduction. All green plants contain chlorophyll to some extent, but every dark green plants contain the highest concentration.
The substance also referred to as the blood of plants is chemically and moleculary very similar to the hemoglobin of human blood. Thanks to this, we can also enjoy its beneficial properties, whether we consume it from natural, plant sources or in the form of food supplement. In addition to its extraordinary cleanising effect, it helps hematopoiesis and the fight against diseases, improves our health, increases our energy level, and has many useful physiological effects. Chlorophyll products are also available in our online store.
The beneficial effects of chlorophyll
Taking chlorophyll is beneficial for our body in several ways. Let's look at the most important ones.
- It is a very good antioxidant, because it effectively destroys free radicals in our body, and prevents or delays oxidative cell damage. In this way, it can help prevent diseases such as diabetes or various heart diseases.
- Thanks to its hematopoietic effect, it improves blood quality. Since chlorophyll is very similar to the hemoglobin in the red blood cells, it increases the oxygen level in the body and helps the necessary nutrients reach the cells.
- It improves oxygen delivery, thereby increasing performance, and improving general well-being and mood.
- It helps eliminate unpleasant body odors and bad breath and reduces the amount of sweat.
- It has an antibacterial effect and is considered one of the best natural detoxifiers. Thanks to this, it helps fight various infections, and destroys harmful bacteria in our body, while supporting the useful ones.
- It is also great for treating acne-prone skin and helps heal wounds.
- It contributes to the perfect maintenance of body's iron level, so it can even be a solution in the treatment of anemia.
- It can help the body's detoxification processes, and removes accumulated harmful substances, even precious metals.
- It improves digestion, eliminates bloating and constipation, helps maintain healthy blood sugar levels, and reduces food cravings.
Benefits and types of chlorophyll supplements
The greener a plant is, the more chlorophyll it contains. With this mind, broccoli, spinach, green peas, and wheat grass are considered excellent natural sources, but we can also get a certain amount of this pigment, which is especially useful for us, from kiwi or green apples.
At the same time, we are talking about a very sensitive compound, which is irreversibly changed by even the slightest impact - such as sunlight. Therefore, if it enters our body from natural sources of nutrients, it may not be able to be fully absorbed.
Various chlorophyll supplements are considered completely safe and effective: according to the US Food and Drug Administration’s (FDA) official recommendation, adults can consume up to 300 milligrams of chlorophyll per day. Chlorophyllin is the water-soluble form of chlorophyll, but in its chemical structure, carbon is bound to copper ions instead of magnesium and provides much better absorption than natural sources.
- Liquid chlorophyll: it can also be found under the name chlorophyllin, typically in the form of sodium copper chlorophyllin. It is excellently useful during digestion and is usually consumed mixed with smoothies and fruit juices. It can also be consumed with water, but the taste may be unpleasant for some at first. In such cases, it is worth starting with smaller amount and gradually increasing the dose. NOW Foods Liquid Chlorophyll is available in a 16-ounce (473-milliliter) container that provides more than 90 servings. The bottle contains chlorophyll liquid with a pleasant mint favor, and it is recommended to consume 1 teaspoon (5 ml) per day, mixed in water, smoothie, or fruit juice.
- Chlorophyll capsule: in the case of capsules, the recommended amount is 100-300 milligrams, three times a day. Based on experience, the results are already noticeable two weeks after the start of the treatment-like consumption. Available supplemented with alfalfa powder, it is an excellent free radical neutralizer.
- Chlorophyll tablet: the Chlorella tablet offers a complex solution, as it is not only high in chlorophyll but also rich in beta-carotene, other carotenoids, vitamin C, iron, and protein. Another advantage is that the cell wall is mechanically broken down during production, thus facilitating digestion and utilization. It is recommended to take it in the form of three tablets a day.
How should you take dietary supplements?
There are no restrictions as to what time of the day we can consume dietary supplements. The 3x1 capsules should be taken evenly throughout the day, while the liquid-type preparation can be taken in the morning, at noon, or in the evening, during meals, or on an empty stomach. Different varieties and types have different recommendations depending on their strenght, so it's always worth checking the information on the back of the product. To minimize the occurrence of possible side effects, it is recommended to gradually introduce it into the diet, starting with the lowest dose.
What side effects can be expected when taking chlorophyll?
The consumption pf chlorophyll does not contain any dangers, and it is almost impossible to overdose because it is excreted from the body in its natural form. Those who are sensitive to it many experience certain side effects, such as diarrhea, nausea, or even vomiting. It can color stools and urine to a greenish, blackish hue, which can be unpleasant and scary at first, but it is completely harmless. During pregnancy or breastfeeding, if you are taking other medicines, or if you experience any side effects while taking chlorophyll, it is worth consulting with your family doctor.
Take a look at Vitamin360's chlorophyll-based food supplements and find the ideal formula for you!